Now Accepting Applications for Fall 2021
Are you passionate about the sciences? Do you hope to one day follow your dreams to a STEM-related career? If this sounds like you and you are looking for a college to help you achieve your goals, then look no further than Wilson College.
Wilson College is partnering with the National Science Foundation (NSF) to contribute to the national need for well-educated scientists. Through a new program called Encompass, Wilson and NSF will train, retain and graduate high-achieving, low-income undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need.
Over the course of the grant, the Encompass program will provide annual scholarships (for up to four years) to 21 rural students pursuing bachelor’s degrees in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and/or Environmental Science.
Scholarship Up to $9,500 Per Year for 4 years
Annual scholarships will be awarded up to $9,500, not to exceed $38,000 in four years. Participating students must demonstrate an overall grade-point average of 3.25 to apply. That same GPA must be maintained throughout the student’s participation in the program. Program participants may also be considered for merit scholarships.
In addition to scholarship assistance, participating students will enjoy the added benefit of support services geared specifically to their needs:
- Academic support
- Research opportunities
- Mentoring (by alumni currently working in a STEM field)
- Experiential learning opportunities
- Faculty and peer-to-peer mentoring
- Job and career development activities specific to STEM professions
- Internship opportunities with industry leaders
- Plus … wellness and stress management activities designed for first-generation, high-achieving, low-income students from rural areas.
It’s easy to turn your passion for science into a career. Fill out this inquiry form and a representative will reach out to you to get the process started.
The Encompass program application requires some basic information along with two references and a 500 word essay. Ready to take the next step and apply? Click here...
- An expressed commitment to majoring in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and/or Environmental Science
- Minimum 3.25 GPA
- Full-time status as a Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and/or Environmental Science student at Wilson College
- Have a demonstrated financial need
- Successful graduate of one of the qualifying Pennsylvania high schools (next tab)
Bermudian Springs High School
Biglerville High School (Upper Adams)
Big Spring High School
Boiling Springs High School
Carlisle High School
Career Magnet High School
Chambersburg Senior High School
Fairfield High School
Fannett-Metal High School
Greencastle-Antrim High School
James Buchanan High School (Tuscarora)
McConnellsburg High School
New Oxford High School
Shippensburg High School
Southern Fulton High School
Waynesboro High School
Selection is competitive and includes review of:
- Academic performance
- Financial need
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Previous participation in STEM-related co-curricular activities
- Demonstrated residency within a targeted rural Pennsylvania school district